LightPath Technologies is a recognized leader in optics and photonics solutions, serving blue chip customers in the industrial, defense, telecommunications, testing and measurement, and medical industries, for over 30 years. LightPath designs, manufactures, and distributes optical and infrared components including molded glass aspheric lenses and assemblies, infrared lenses and thermal imaging assemblies, fused fiber collimators, and proprietary Black DiamondTM (“BD6”) chalcogenide-based glass lenses. With multiple offices around the globe, this position is located in our Orlando office.
We have an immediate opportunity for a Senior Optical Engineer who will be responsible for performing optical lens design and analysis, providing sales support for evaluating new opportunities, specifying and establishing appropriate optical test methods, and providing general optical engineering input and trouble-shooting as needed to support engineering, production, quality control, and R&D projects.
We offer a friendly and fun environment, with the opportunity to grow within the company, in addition to great pay and benefits. LightPath Technologies is conveniently located right off the 408 expressway in the vicinity of the University of Central Florida in Central Florida Research Park.
If this sounds like fun to you, you are seeking to be part of a diverse family that values integrity, respect, and appreciation, enjoy working in a collaborative, and solution-oriented environment, apply now!
- Manage all aspects of optical designs from evaluating initial specifications to validating performance of finished prototypes.
- Design lenses and optical subsystems in ZEMAX or equivalent optical modeling software, including lens elements, multi-lens systems, or other optical components, systems or subsystems.
- Conduct tolerance, thermal, stray light, and sensitivity analyses of optical designs, as necessary.
- Interface with mechanical engineers to transition designs to manufacturing and integrate into opto-mechanical assemblies and systems.
- Facilitate design validation and lessons learned to improve design and manufacturing methods.
- Interface directly with customers as needed to support sales, propose design solutions, and document performance relative to specifications.
- Manage the specification, identification, procurement and validation of new test equipment.
- Specify and establish state of the art optical test methods and equipment, such as interferometers, beam profilers, imaging quality testing, and functional tests.
- Identify and work with suppliers of components and systems for supporting test capabilities.
- Evaluate and revise test procedures to optimize the trade-offs of precision, accuracy, throughput and ease of operation.
- Perform Gage R&R and measurement system analyses to identify standard measurement capability metrics such as instrument accuracy, precision, PTV ratios, and systematic biases.
- Support operations by troubleshooting optical issues with existing designs and test setups.
- Train, assist, and support other engineers with regard to all aspects of optical design and testing.
- Make key contributions to publications, patents, proposals, and/or conference proceedings.
- Offer recommendations for the improvement of product planning and innovation.
- Advocate for company objectives and methodologies through direct interaction with customers and suppliers.
- Partake in quality control process with regard to design procedures and documentation.
- Provide technical support to sales, marketing, and manufacturing.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Abilities, & Skills You Need:
- Excellent communication skills for personal interactions and presentations to team members.
- Excellent at overcoming obstacles with creative solutions under the pressure of deadlines.
- Optical lens/system design for applications such as laser collimating, fiber coupling, and imaging cameras, including tolerance analysis, thermal analysis, and manufacturing/cost trade-offs.
- Experience with optical design software such as Zemax, including custom merit functions and macros, to maximize trade-offs between performance and manufacturability.
- Thorough understanding of optical concepts such as ray aberrations, waves, diffraction, interference, Gaussian propagation, lasers, imaging, fiber coupling, etc.
- Initiative and ability to understand manufacturing processes, especially those that affect lens design manufacturability, tolerances, and implementation.
- Experience with optical tests such as interferometers, beam profilers, and lens metrology.
- Experience in custom benchtop tests with components such as lasers, fibers, detectors.
- Ability to conduct measurement system analysis and Gage R&R applying statistical concepts when needed, such as: normal distributions, PT and PTV, Cp and Cpk, correlations, T-tests, etc.
- Demonstrates attention to detail. Analyzes and synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses mathematical and statistical analysis tools to formulate conclusions and data-driven decisions
- Ability to manage time wisely in order to meet deadlines, identify issues and generate creative solutions in a timely manner.
- Ability and willingness to follow design work flows and procedures.
- Ability and willingness to work independently as well as in a group, such as for group problem solving situations.
- Develops and maintains courteous and effective working relationships with clients, vendors and/or any other representatives of external organizations.
- Manages difficult or confrontational interactions with a professional and polite demeanor.
- Appreciate the importance of formulating and coordinating workable plans and communicating plans to all necessary parties.
- Strive for continuous improvement of knowledge and skills by continually assessing personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Willing to share expertise and train others to further the organization.
- Strive for continuous improvement on an organizational level with regard to processes, procedures, final products, and customer service.
- Ensures safety and security of all staff, visitors, contractors, and customers.
- Able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Proficient at using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and the internet.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, and hear
- Occasional walking and standing, reaching with hands and arms, balancing and stooping, or kneeling required
- Occasional lifting and /or moving up to 20 pounds required
- Ability to work with moderate noise level
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluently in English
- Specific vision ability required by this job includes color vision.
- Use of lasers with adherence to laser safety requirements.
- Master’s Degree with more than five (5) years of optical design experience, or equivalent combination of education, skills and experience.
- Medical Insurance; Dental Insurance; Vision insurance available upon hire to eligible employees
- Flexible Spending Account; Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with Employer Match
- Confidential Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Employer Paid Life Insurance, Personal Accident Insurance, and Long Term Disability
- Opportunity to enroll in optional supplemental insurance policies such as term life, critical illness, accident, death, and dismemberment, short term disability.
- Paid vacation with option to rollover vacation hours and sell hours back to company for payout at full rate.
- Paid sick time
- 10 paid company holidays.
- Discounts on a variety of products and services offered through our co-employer Insperity.
Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran/AA/DFWP
NOT ACCEPTING CALLS REGARDING THIS OPPORTUNITY